Monday, August 24, 2009

Softball - it's not soft.


3 weeks.

12 games.

4 injuries.

Sometimes I forget that I can't do the stuff I used to be able to do.

Week 1 - I forget to wear my new cleats and wear my old ones. You know, the ones that feel like I'm running on concrete all the time. Since this first night, I have constant pain in my achilles. It's getting better though, little by little. Although you wouldn't be able to tell if you saw me trying to walk after getting out of bed in the morning.

Week 2a - I don't think I pulled it, but I gave a real good stretch to my hamstring. I mean REAL good. Like, I'm pretty sure I pulled it. Now with my achilles hurting and my hamstring not working correctly, I look as graceful as a swan when I'm running the bases. And if you're thinking "when you say graceful, do you mean 'contorted', and when you say like a swan, do you mean 'freak of nature'", then yes, I'm graceful as a swan.

Week 2b - I catch the ball at third to tag the baserunner and he steps on my glove, which smashes the ball into my fingers. I still can't make a fist without my ring finger hurting. Good thing I'm a lover and not a fighter and I never have a reason to make a fist :)

Week 3 - A grounder is hit to me. I get in front of it and it takes a bad hop and hits me right on my wrist. I had to leave the game because I couldn't grip a softball after that. I started to wonder after the game, "did that take THAT bad of a bounce or am I just too slow to react?" I'm still debating this argument with myself. (Don't worry, I got the runner out at second.)

Week 4 games start tomorrow, anyone want to start taking bets on whether I'll hurt myself again or not? I'm betting that I won't. But you have to give me 10 to 1 odds.

3 comments:

Zaissa said...

I like how you forgot to mention what you did to your poor wife after your last game last week. Now if you really DO crack a rib, I won't feel bad for you.

And as far as it being a good thing you are a lover and not a fighter so the finger injury doesn't matter...well I think you know what I have to say about THAT!

Tiffy Ann said...

I'm pretty sure that you will get another injury--old man! ;)

Jenna Marie said...

You always were a FANTASTIC baseball player! WERE is the key word here! :)